Tsawout First Nation

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Public Works FAQ's

E-mail Print PDF

Tsawout Public Works responds to all requests in accordance to the urgency of the request. Routine requests will be scheduled along with our other routine maintenance requirements.

Urgent and emergency requests will receive immediate attention. We rely upon  the public to notify us when you see something that requires our attention and we truly appreciate your assistance in identifying the problem areas.

Recycle Boxes and Refuse Collection
Where do I get my recycle box and when are the recycling items pickup for this area? When will my trash be collected?  Please contact the Capital Regional District at (250) 360 3000 to find out the schedule of pick up. The recycle boxes are available at any hardware store. Private contractors do remove trash from acceptable refuse containers/bags and installed receptacles at bus stops and parks every Thursday. 

Dead or Injured Animals
Who attends to dead or injured animals? 
The Tsawout First Nation contracts with the Capital Regional District (CRD). Please contact the CRD directly at  478-0624.

Boulevard Trees
The Tsawout First Nation Public Works Department will trim only those trees that meet any of the following criteria:

  • The tree is an obstruction to vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or
  • The tree is a danger to property such as houses and cars, or
  • The tree is in need of maintenance to ensure the continued health of the tree.

Tree Removal
The Tsawout First Nation Public Works will remove only those trees that meet any of the following criteria:

  • The tree affects traffic safety, or
  • The tree affects underground services, or
  • The tree is diseased or damaged and is a public hazard, or
  • The tree obstructs ditches or drains and is less than 8 inches in diameter.

Larger diameter trees or heritage trees require an evaluation by a certified arborist and approval by Council before any action can be taken.

Potholes and Broken Sidewalks
The Tsawout First Nation Public Works department repairs our streets and sidewalks on an ongoing basis, dependent upon the severity of the problem and the current workload. Although we check our roads continually and perform an annual survey, we appreciate your assistance in identifying potential hazards.

Dusty Roads/Construction Areas
Excessive dust from construction sites, if not cleaned by the contractor/developer within a reasonable period of time, can be addressed to Public Works Manager. We check our streets and boulevards constantly during the normal workday.  Once a year we also treat some specific areas of the less traveled portion of our roads to reduce the amount of dust.

Chipseal Road Surfaces
Road resurfacing is an annual project. Roads are selected based on need as determined by the Pavement Management Plan and budgetary restrictions. Chipsealing has proven to be the most cost-effective in the long-term maintenance plan. The chipseal program is completed during the latter part of June and the early part of July. Every effort is made not to be disruptive to the traffic flows or damage to your vehicle.  To assist us please drive at slow speeds, as this will reduce the dust and the hazards from flying rocks.

Street Lights
The streetlights are surveyed annually at the end of September to determine if any maintenance is required before Halloween and the darker winter season. During the remainder of the year, we rely upon the public to notify us of any streetlights that are not working properly. Most problems are resolved as soon as possible.

Traffic Islands, Boulevards and Ditch Grass Cutting
The Tsawout First Nation Public Works department cuts non-manicured roads and ditches on an annual basis during the active growing season. We generally use a six to eight week rotational cutting cycle. Our equipment is a flail mower that will provide rough cutting only. Manicured treatment cannot be accomplished. The purposes of this program are to ensure adequate drainage flow, to reduce fire hazards and to improve vehicle sight lines. Aesthetic appeal is not a consideration. We also perform minor annual maintenance on traffic intersections in accordance with our budgetary restraints.

The Tsawout First Nation Public Works department  also cleans those ditches that require cleaning once every year, generally  before the start of the rainy season. Specific requests will be addressed dependent upon the severity of the problem.

The Water/Sewer Section performs annual maintenance on all municipal hydrants and may clear hedges and shrubs away from the operating area of the hydrant. The adjacent owner will be advised before we commence the trimming of bushes or hedges.  

Ditch Enclosure/Culvert Installation
If the ditch on your road is of particular concern because of standing water, please contact the Public Works Manager. Ditches may be enclosed in certain cases, but may need to be done so at the homeowner’s expense and in accordance with Tsawout First Nation specifications.

Offensive Odours
Complaints about offensive odours will be investigated as soon as possible. There is little we can do about agricultural land fertilization odours.

Snow/Ice Removal
The Tsawout First Nation Public Works performs snow clearing and salting/sanding of icy roads as soon as we are made aware of the problem. When the arterial and secondary roads are cleared, our attention is given to residential roads. However, our equipment is limited and it is difficult to completely clear all residential roads at the same time.

Commercial Directional Signs
Working with the Lands Department you can apply  for an sign permit  with the installation being done through the Tsawout Public Works Department. An installation fee and a yearly maintenance fee may apply.  A typical request will require three to four weeks for completion of the installation.

Water Meter Leaks
The Public Works Department  will respond to your request as soon as we can, depending upon the severity of the leak. If you are concerned about flooding damage, we will respond immediately. Minor leaks can be tackled easily. We will investigate the problem and if necessary, we will shutoff the water. We will repair problems on the band side of the water service, which is typically up to, and including the meter box. The homeowner is responsible for repairs at or beyond the outlet of the water meter. You can shutoff the water yourself by lifting the lid off the box and turning the gate valve wheel counter clockwise. If there is not a gate valve, turn the rectangular piece of metal at the inlet of the water meter 90 degrees so that it is perpendicular to the water flow.

Sewer/Storm Inspection Caps
Every four months the Public Works Department reads the dials on water meters. At the same time, we notify homeowners of any defective sewer/storm caps that we notice. These caps are located on the homeowner’s property and are the responsibility of the homeowner. You can purchase these caps at any building supply retailer.

House Storm and Sewer Connections
In most cases, the Tsawout Public Works will have the location of your services on file and will provide photocopies showing the services with dimensions from a property pin.  The Tsawout Public Works Manager can help you interpret the plans and assist with any concerns you may have about your service connections.

Connection to the community Sewers for Properties on Septic
Applications for each property are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the Tsawout First Nation Public Works Manager at the administration office to discuss your application.

Driveway Access
If a homeowner wishes to add a second driveway to his property we require that they purchase a driveway permit. Prior to issuing the permit we need to consider the location of the proposed driveway in relation to boulevard trees, hydrants or other Tsawout services as well as the requirement for culverts.
In many cases it may suffice to widen the existing driveway on the homeowner’s side of the property line, leaving the boulevard area untouched. You should check with the Tsawout Public Works Manager prior to starting construction as a permit may or may not be required.

Call before you Dig or other related Construction permits
Contractors are required to contact BC One at 1-800- 474-6886 for the location of telephone, electrical and gas utilities. They must also provide an insurance certificate with minimum $2,000,000 public liability insurance at the time of application. Contact the Tsawout First Nation Public Works Manager at the administration office to receive a permit or for additional information.

Speeding and Traffic Issues
If the situation is such that vehicles are traveling at excessive speeds, or parking where they shouldn’t, please refer these complaints to the RCMP Police Department non emergency line at (250) 656-3931. If the situation is such that safety is compromised due to road conditions, unusual traffic patterns, reduced sight visibility by trees, signs or other obstructions, please refer these complaints to the Tsawout First Nation Public Works Department.

Mosquito Control
What does the Tsawout First Nation do about controlling mosquitoes?
I am concerned about the West Nile virus. Who can answer my questions?
Please contact the Tsawout First Nation Public Works Manager at 652-9101.